lunes, 1 de diciembre de 2008

Spanish in Europe

One of the main reasons why I started writing this blog (read blog in a large sense) was identity. Spanish is part of mine and coming back to Colombia from being a Spanish assistant in a lycée in France, which is a support teacher of Spanish in a high school, I realized I didn’t speak the Spanish I was expected to speak. Now, funnily I write this entry in English so more people can read it.
As I said, language was an issue. I was speaking a Spanish my collegues were not familiar with and neither were my students. And as I tried to understand why it was like that, I realized it was distance. Spain is closer to France so the Spanish from Spain was the one being taught. Colombia, an almost unknown country placed south Mexico by many people I asked to take a guess on where I came from, was too distant for some French to know about it,( except of course for Ingrid Betancourt) or to know about the kind of Spanish people like me spoke there. The same happened with English, the English they taught was british.
I had a period of adjustment trying to convince myself that the “Latin American” Spanish and culture had a lot to offer too. I brought to my Spanish classes poems from Neruda and Benedetti. They spoke using “vos” and I use it too and people from my city and most of Central America as well. I tried to use the quantitative argument: “We are majority speaking another Spanish different to that of Spain, thus our way to speak should be also taken into account”. Aren’t we part of the millions of people increasing the amount of speakers the Spanish are so proud to recall? Then I realized it was all a political and cultural game and the distance didn’t help either. Spain has a better cultural and political reputation than all our Latin American countries. Spain is closer to Europe and many Europeans spend their vacations there so they want to communicate in Spanish (from Spain). I finally got it. We have to become a stronger force to be able to affect positively the DRAE (Dictionnary of the Real Academic of eSpanish), and we have to become a more attractive vacation destination and show our cultural influence.
And then I remember, my conclusion was, you can’t talk about a Latin American Spanish. It is not as simple. Mexicans for example, do not “vosean” and Equatorians and Peruvians either. And in Colombia, only Paisas and Caleños do. Lexical terms vary from a country to another and among regions inside coutries too. But I still believe we have a lot to offer to the Spanish being taught in Europe and I’ll find out a way to contribute to the recognition of our cultural and linguistic heritage in a wider way in Europe.
A video of "mi rostro de vos" a poem from Benedetti. It starts from the 2:00 min. Also a great web site with the poems being recited "palabra virtual" with the same poem.


3 comentarios:

Marianyka dijo...

Interesting post! Actually, I think I get your point and feeling since I'm going through the same situation. Both, my Spanish and my Portuguese are not the variety wanted here. What's behind? It's our cultures that are not worthy enough?

Jr. dijo...

Sandris, se trata de que tu español no es conocido en Francia, o no es querido como dice Marianyka? Espero que sea el primera caso. Pero de todas maneras Sandra, estoy en desacuerdo con vos. No creo que valga la pena esforzarnos por exportar nuestro español, ni siquiera creo que deberíamos querer exportar nuestra cultura, o estar ansiosos de mostrársela al mundo. Más bien ocuparnos de ser fuertes como nación, de hacer aportes al desarrollo de este mundo, de cultivar una economía sana, y lo demás vendrá por añadidura. En la medida en que seamos buenos en lo que hacemos, el mundo se interesará por nosotros. Vea nuestros artistas por ejemplo, estoy seguro que Juanes o Vives han hecho más por la diseminación de nuestra lengua, que 100 profesores de español juntos.

Así lo veo yo. Nunca los gringos han salido en cruzada a tratar de imponer su forma de hablar inglés. Simplemente eso viene como consecuencia de toda la influencia política, tecnológica, económica y POR ENDE cultural que ejerce ese país sobre el resto del mundo. Sucede similar con Alemania, Francia, y obviamente España por poner algunos ejemplos.

En fin, yo no le botaría mucha corriente a eso. Si los franceses no están interesados en nuestro español, pues están en todo su derecho.

Besos a tu mente inagotable!!!

Sandra dijo...

A ver mi Luchis, entiendo tu aporte y me parece interesante. De hecho, parcialmente eso fué lo que expuse en mi segunda entrada escrita en español (sobre la ciencia y la tecnología) y eso fué lo que sugerí en la primera cuando dije que teniamos que convertirnos en una fuerza más visible e influyente. Sin embargo, no creo que deberíamos darnos por vencidos en la tarea de dar a conocer nuestros países mientras estemos por acá. De acuerdo en que no le debo echar tanta mente, pero que los franceses no pretendan que yo empiece a hablar de vosotros(como he visto a algún profesor colombiano) algo que en mi no es para nada natural.
Al final como profe de lenguas lo que me molesta no es ni la corrección ni el desdén con el que nos miran, es el hecho de no tener esa noción de que todas las lenguas con sus variantes tienen igual valor. Eso fué un concepto clave en la Uni y sin embargo cuando dije en Univalle que me iba a Angers en Pays de la Loire me dijeron...ahh allá hablan el mejor francés de Francia, y yo no entendía, mis profesoras diciendome eso? Cómo así que el mejor francés? y quién lo decide? Me cuestionaba. Claro, eran las profes de francés...jejeje. Definitivamente ando en mis días de crisis francesas, pero ya se me pasará.

Marianyka, Como profes de lenguas creo que nos entendemos...pero si que hay que tener paciencia no?